The Hawk: A Highland Guard Novel

The Hawk - Monica McCarty Erik MacSorley, called Hawk by his fellow warriors, is an amazing seaman and exhibits his skills when he eludes three English ships off the coast of Ireland after having abducted a so called nursemaid. It was actually Lady Elyne de Burgh, the daughter of the most powerful noble in Ireland, who had inadvertently witnessed a private meeting between Hawk and some mercenaries being hired for Bruce's cause. Hawk and Ellie begin sparring from the outset and he wasn't accustomed to having any woman resist him. It was imperative that he meet up with Bruce at an appointed time but the English were relentless in their chase of Hawk, who didn't know that their doggedness was due to who he had captured. I liked Ellie and Hawk was absolutely formidable as a warrior. Though it took some time to develop, their romance was exciting and spirited with plenty of steamy moments and well worth the wait. The action was exciting and tension filled and I continue to appreciate the mix of historical fact and fiction in this series. I loved this story with its perfect balance of action and romance. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.