My Kind of Christmas (A Virgin River Novel)

My Kind of Christmas (Virgin River #20) - Robyn Carr Two of the things I love the most about the Virgin River series is the spirit of community in the town where everyone tends to look after each other, to a fault, and how each book revisits the characters from the past that we've enjoyed. This story doesn't disappoint in those respects as all of the Riordans and the Sheridans (and many others in the town) get in the middle of the developing relationship between Patrick, the youngest of the Riordans and Angie, Jack's oldest niece and his heart. Patrick is home on leave, staying in his brother Aiden's cabin after having witnessed his best friend and flying partner's death in a fire fight. His 4-year relationship with his girlfriend has also collapsed and he's now reconsidering his military career. Angie is taking a break from her mother who can't help but smother her after the car accident that left her in a coma for a few weeks and severely injured. Angie is okay but is reconsidering her decision to go to medical school as she wants to live life more fully. Mom thinks she's having a personality change stemming from the accident. They compromise and Angie comes to Virgin River to clear her head.When Angie walks into Jack's Bar and sees Patrick sitting at the bar, they both have an immediate connection that no one seems to miss. Jack is going nuts as he's not keen on his niece connecting with one of those Riordan boys but Angie is pretty determined and goes full out after Patrick. He's a bit leery as he's almost ten years older and feels an obligation to his buddy's widow. But, Patrick is just as much drawn to Angie as she him.There are so many funny moments as Jack struggles to deal with Angie's independence and intimate relationship with Patrick, who also has to contend with his meddling brothers and mother. There's a particularly funny moment when Jack shows up at Angie's at the wrong time. But, the real treasure in this story is the romance between Angie and Patrick who are both pretty clear eyed about what they're getting into. Angie knows about the widow and Patrick's misguided belief that he needs to take care of her and her son by creating a family. And, he knows that Angie has big plans for her life, whether it's med school or working to help people in underdeveloped communities. Following their journey from a casual but intimate relationship to one where their feelings become extremely complex was a really good experience. The ending was typical Virgin River style involving most of the Sheridans and Riordans but that's what we love about this series.This is another lovely addition to the Virgin River experience. I want more and hope this series continues. I never tire of visiting this town and its wonderful collection of characters and community. (I received an ARC from NetGalley)