When the Duchess Said Yes (Wylder Sisters, Book 2)

When the Duchess Said Yes - Isabella Bradford Lizzie Wylder finds out that her father also arranged a marriage for her prior to his death. She's betrothed to the Duke of Hawkesworth, called Hawke, who must marry her before she turns 19 years of age or he will lose his fortune in accordance with his deceased father's directive. Hawke is doing some very serious foot dragging as he has no interest in the English lifestyle and plans to return to his beloved Naples, Italy once he's married and produced an heir. That is until he is dazzled by the free-spirited Lizzie.I really liked the first book in this series and loved this one. Lizzie is much more daring than her sister Charlotte, who has transformed into the perfect Duchess, conforming to the traditions of English society. Lizzie, being the middle child, doesn't feel the pressure of the need to conform and finds herself succumbing to Hawke's scandalous behaviors. Though he rudely avoided meeting Lizzie for the first time, Hawke quickly changed his tune when he realized she was the young woman he had encountered at the opera and who mesmerized him. The two of them proceed on a pretty risky path before they finally make it to the altar. Their relationship is passionate and delightful, both of them being really interesting characters. I wondered for a time where the conflict would rise and it does indeed come from Hawke whose only frame of reference for marriage is his parents' union, which was fairly dismal. Hawke still has the notion that in time, his passion and love for Lizzie will fade and he'll eventually set up a separate household for himself in Naples, complete with a mistress. Lizzie's realization of her husband's views is heartbreaking and Hawke's transformation was painful. This aspect of the story was gripping and I felt the anguish of both.This was a really good story and surpassed the first book in this series. The pace is perfect and the characters are very nicely developed. I am really enjoying the Wylder sisters.(I received an ARC from NetGalley)