Thrill Me to Death (The Bullet Catchers, Book 2)

Thrill Me to Death - Roxanne St. Claire Lucy Sharpe assigns Max Roper to protect the widow of billionaire William Peyton following his death and to find out if she had anything to do with his death of natural causes. What complicates matters is the widow...she's Max's ex lover, Corrinne (Cori) Cooper Peyton, and they didn't leave on good terms. Needless to say, Cori's not happy to see Max when he shows up for duty.I liked both Max and Cori individually and as a couple. She's smart and sharp but without an edge. He's smoldering and brooding but clever and quick witted. Max has good instincts, as does Cori, but both let their relationship get in the way of smart thinking a time or two in this story. There are two suspense elements in the story: was William murdered and is someone out to harm Cori. The clues related to both intersect late in the story and it keeps the tension heightened. Max and Cori's developing romance doesn't overshadow the mystery and suspense and vice versa. There's a good balance of the two and both are well done.There are some plot issues that require a suspension of belief at times but they are not big enough issues to affect the enjoyment of the story. I quickly got past Cori's occasional too stupid to live moments because they really were out of character and she is so likable. While the clues are all here, I missed guessing the villain in a large way, which makes this book even more compelling.I'm really liking this series and plan to go the distance. This one kept me hooked until the end.