Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One

Hounded - Kevin Hearne Atticus O'Sullivan is a centuries old Druid who looks like a 22-year old living in Tempe, Arizona. He runs a store in the college town and lives with his Irish wolf-hound, Oberon (yes, he's named after Shakespeare's fairy king). He's living a fairly quiet existence given he's been hunted by an angry god for at least 1,000 years but has been pretty safe since he decided to make his home in Arizona. Now it seems his good fortune has run out as Aengus d'Og has found him and is sending emissaries to try their hand at offing him. The story doesn't lack in imagination as the assortment of foes is creative and diverse. This is Celtic mythology at its finest with Atticus in the center of gods and goddesses behaving badly, using mortals, witches and Fae to fight their political battles. The dialogue is pithy and some of the best is between Atticus and Oberon. It's impossible to know who is telling the truth, bending it a little or just flat out lying and it makes the story delicious. After awhile, I decided to just go along for the ride, enjoying some of the best writing I've read in this genre. Atticus is so interesting and his appeal is hard to define but it's there. All of the secondary characters are very well defined, provide their own intrigue and add effectively to the tale. I was reluctant to start this book as it didn't seem to fit my interest and now I'm thrilled that it was put in front of me by friends whose opinions I trust. This is one of the best stories I've read this year and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.