Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy

Fifty Shades of Grey  - E.L. James Anastasia Steele substitutes for her ailing friend Kate and conducts an interview with wealthy businessman Christian Grey. He's taken with her and soon insinuates himself in her life and convinces her that they belong together. Christian's definition of what that means is the crux of this story since he's idemanding that she become his submissive to his dominant. Initially, I struggled with this story as Christian demanded Anastasia's compliance with the dom/sub role beyond a sexual relationship. He was controlling in a most unattractive way, suffocating the young Anastasia, who has a pretty good head on her shoulders for her age. However, as this story progressed, it became abundantly clear how complex this relationship was and there was so much more to both characters than appeared on the surface and even a couple of layers down. I became enthralled by them both and even more impressed with Anastasia's maturity in spite of her inexperience. We experience events through her eyes and voice, asking the same questions that crop up in my own mind. Some of the most funny and interesting moments are the emails between these two, which I think represents the most clever dialogue I've read in quite some time. The book ends in a way that immediately pushes you to the next story of the trilogy. I don't mind as I am hooked by these characters. This isn't your typical BDSM story and that's a really good thing.