The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgerton Series, Bk. 2)

The Viscount Who Loved Me - Julia Quinn I was looking forward to Anthony's story and it delivered. We find out here that he's a bit of a rake, or at least was a big one in his earlier years, which explains his overprotectiveness of Daphne. Anthony is also convinced he will have a short life based on his father's and uncle's premature deaths and his solution is to not get invested in a loving relationship. The best scenes in this story are when Kate and Anthony are sparring. It's when we see Anthony coming alive and Kate's spunk. I'm finding I like the heroines in this series as much as their male partners, if not more. He showed real depth when he could see in Kate what everyone else seemed to miss. I loved their chemistry as it was based on their compatibility more so than an instant physical connection. We got a chance to see a romance develop in a much more exciting way because they challenged each other. There were times when I worried that Anthony would treat Kate cruelly and he came close a few times. It would have been easy for Quinn to go that route and the story was strengthened because she did not. It was also realistic for Kate and Edwina to have a healthy sibling relationship in spite of the differences in physical attributes and for Mary to be a loving stepmother. I found it refreshing. This is a good story that plodded along at times but the great scenes made up for those lapses. I'm still enjoying the series and look forward to the next book.