Gone Girl: A Novel

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn Amy Dunne disappears on the morning of her fifth anniversary of her marriage to Nick Dunne. He is immediately suspected by the police and Nick begins to learn things about his wife from friends he didn't know she had and struggles to prove his innocence. What follows is a chronicle by both Nick and Amy of their relationship from their first meeting up to the present, as well as the search to discover what happened to Amy.It is a very rare thing for me to enjoy a book when I don't like most of the characters. I must credit the author for being able to engage me emotionally and keep me glued to a story where so many of the people are just distasteful. I also bounced back and forth as to what happened to Amy, transferring allegiance to her, then Nick, then back to her....well, you get the picture. In the end, I struggled to define which I disliked the most.This is a story of two very complicated people, their marriage and relationships with others and how it shaped their own marital relationship. Some will find the ending unsatisfying but for me, it was the only one that would ever make sense. I'd describe this as a contemporary fiction with a mystery so as to not mislead one into thinking it's all about the disappearance of Amy. That's important but there is so much more to the story. I guarantee you won't be ambivalent about this book when you're done.