Delusion In Death (In Death Series)

Delusion in Death - J.D. Robb Eve Dallas faces one of the most tragic cases to date when she's called to the scene of a nightmare. The patrons of a bar on the lower west side of Manhattan seem to have gone berserk during happy hour, attacking each other, leaving 83 people dead in the space of twelve minutes. It wasn't tough to figure out there was some type of substance at play and the challenge was to figure out not only who did this but how and with what. This is another one of the outstanding police procedurals in the series. Dallas and her team were downright methodical in assembling the details to create a picture to help narrow the possibilities to identify the potential suspects. If you like this aspect of the series, you'll really appreciate this story. The team was at its precision best, with a stellar moment by Trueheart. The story is tied to the Urban Wars and the details provided here are the most expansive I've read to date in the series. It's pretty chilling and the book's release date, the anniversary of 9/11, tied to the story. It is a fitting tribute as everyone came together, including Dallas with Homeland Security, for the sake of the city and the case. Nicely done. It was also nice to have Dallas and Peabody regain their rhythm and unique humor. And, of course, Roarke finds a way to insert himself into the case. There were many other secondary characters included in the book and I'm always excited when they're an integral part of the story. However, that really wasn't the situation here. Most had perfunctory appearances without benefit of a parallel, meaty storyline. That's been a staple of the series and I have to admit it's been missing in the last few books. Yes, I first want the challenging case as it was what attracted me to the series and keeps me coming back. But those delicious subplots or side vignettes are what have me rereading the books. I miss Charles and Louise, what's going on in Peabody and McNab's relationship, how is Morris coping in his personal life now....you get the picture. I need this element of the story structure restored, otherwise it becomes another ordinary detective series.Lastly, it's become clear that there is an Eve Dallas before New York to Dallas (NY2D) and after. While I'm a firm believer that this series should be read in order, there are others that may not. NY2D is prerequisite reading before starting this book or you will not fully appreciate Eve's evolution. It marks a pivotal point in her life and how she behaves going forward and I'll leave it at that. Overall, I really enjoyed the book, my issues noted, because it is well written and the case extraordinary and complex. It's a solid addition to the series and here's hoping we see the secondary characters we love have bigger roles to play going forward.