Tempted by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, Book 3)

Tempted by the Highland Warrior - Michelle Willingham Callum MacKinloch was imprisoned for seven years by the Earl of Cairnross. Following a particularly cruel beating where he was left for dead, the earl's betrothed, Lady Marguerite de Montpierre, was drawn to the young warrior and tended his wounds. Callum's reason for living was the vision of this lovely woman and gives him strength to hang on until he's rescued. Meanwhile, Marguerite, the daughter of a French duke who is anxious to see her married to English nobility to improve his standing in the country, is haunted by Callum and is loathe to marry the cruel Earl.I broke one of my cardinal rules and read this book without reading the first two in the series. While it can stand on its on very well, I found myself craving the backstories of the MacKinloch family leading up to the current events. I highly recommend reading them in order because the characters in this story have depth and substance. The story itself was compelling, especially the conflict between Marguerite and her family and Callum's courage and doggedness. It's a lovely romance and I plan to go back and read the first two books so that I can better savor and appreciate these characters. It's an excellent highlander tale, even though it lacks the traditional dialect of the region, which I've grown accustomed to seeing in these type stories. I will be reading any future books in the series.(I received an ARC from NetGalley.)