Dust to Dust

Dust to Dust - Tami Hoag There's a serial killer loose in Minneapolis and now he's broken pattern and abducted and presumably killed someone other than a prostitute. Now he's got the attention of the community, law enforcement and the press, and a new moniker...The Cremator, because of what he does to his victims after he's killed them. The atmosphere is now so politically charged the top guns are being assigned. Kate Conlan, a former DC FBI agent, now victim/witness advocate for the city, is assigned to work with the killer's one witness. John Quinn, the country's renowned top profiler for the bureau has been called in to work with the local police and he and Kate have a history.This is a gritty story with a plethera of flawed people who are tasked with finding this killer and solving the case. Kate escaped to Minneapolis following a scandal only to have it show up in the form of John Quinn. Their struggle to resist picking up where they left off has a bearing on the case as it causes some distraction. The detectives assigned to the case are doing their jobs pretty well in spite of political interference from top brass because of the high profile of the last victim's father (he's a billionaire). And, the one witness to the last crime is more than reluctant to cooperate and is a pain in the neck.There are so many layers to each of the characters and the story that it kept me engaged throughout. However, it does get bogged down a bit with too many ruminations by Quinn and Kate about their individual tragedies, past and present. The reiterations felt like overkill, pardon the pun, but they were important to knowing these two people. The twists and turns and red herrings were pleasantly distracting and by the end, I wasn't quite sure if I had identified the right person as the killer. I got there but not easily so but the clues were there. It's a great start to the series, even though Sam Kovac and Nikki Liska weren't at the forefront of the story. However, we know enough about them because they were extremely well developed as characters and I'm looking forward to seeing them in action. This a good mystery and the suspense was killing me.