A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, Book 1)

A Hunger Like No Other - Kresley Cole Lachlain MacRieve, the leader of the Lykae Clan endured years of torture from the vampire Horde until, while trapped in the dungeons in Paris, he scented his predestined mate and escaped. He tracks her down in the city and captures her, only to find out she's a vampire herself. Emmaline Troy is half Valkyrie/half vampire (unbeknownst to Lachlain) and has been sheltered by her Valkyrie aunts her entire life. This was her first venture outside of their protection and she's claimed by a powerful Lykae as his mate.I cannot point to one aspect of this story that hooked me so I think it was a combination of many things as there was quite a bit going on. First, the idea that Lachlain spent over 150 years in the dungeons of Paris being tortured daily was awfully intriguing. The idea that the power of sensing his predestined mate gave him the will and ability to free himself after all of that time was pretty alluring and a sign of interesting things to come in that relationship. I also liked that Emmaline, who was extraordinarily timid and insecure after spending a lifetime with her batty aunts, struck out on her own for the first time in her life and was learning to fend and think for herself. It was uplifting to follow her metamorphasis to a young woman of confidence, strength and intelligence. She held her own with Lachlain. Lastly, the secondary storylines were awfully exciting and provided intrigue and suspense as the romance between Lachlain and Emma developed, which was gradual, well paced and sensual. Initially, I thought the premise sounded absurd but it works. Lachlain's initial barbarism was authentic and we immediately got to see that Emma had game as she seemed to know how to handle him and diffuse the situation. Her quick thinking and adroitness was more of a surprise to her and ultimately prepared her for the final showdown with her aunts. There were a few twists at the end that you could sort of see coming but the scenes delivered in spite of it being somewhat predictable. I really like the start to this series (I'm not counting the prequel) and cannot wait to continue with the next book.