Funny and Light

Love at High Tide - Christi Barth
The set up
Darcy Trent just wants to relax on the beach for a few days as she ponders a major career decision. When she ventures into the ocean, she’s rescued from a killer wave by the sexy Cooper Hudson and their attraction is mutual. Despite Darcy’s efforts to mix a little summer fling in with her plans, best friend Trina has other plans for her time and involves her in her latest wacky scheme to become a private investigator.

The issues
Cooper is also in retreat at the beach as he recovers from his latest career blow after being turned down by the secret service. He’s very interested in the smart, attractive and quick-witted Darcy but keeps getting sidetracked by well-meaning family and Trina’s investigation antics.

What I liked
This was a short, cute story with two very appealing people. The dialogue between Darcy and Cooper was snappy and clever, keeping things light and easy. The sexual tension was perfectly pitched and timed really well, and you really couldn’t wait for these two to come together.

What I found annoying
Trina. Trina. Trina. She just grated my nerves and I got to the point where I couldn’t figure out why she didn’t get under Darcy’s skin. She’s presented as quirky and it’s fine if you like that in the best friend but I just couldn’t get into her, even when she’s vindicated at the end of the story. She’s used as the device to delay Darcy and Cooper from getting together and it just didn’t work for me.

The bottom line
I loved Cooper and Darcy and their breezy conversations. Their dialogue kept me in the story and it was so very well written. I would have loved a longer story about them but, really, it was long enough for me to “get” and fall for them. The build-up to their sexual interludes was also well done and it was worth the wait. And, the ending was really satisfying. I just wish I could have found a muzzle and leash for Trina. Rated 3.5 stars.

(I received an ARC from the author)