More than a romance

Big Sky Wedding - Linda Lael Miller

I've wanted to read Brylee Parrish's story since she was left at the altar by Hutch Carmody in the second book of this series (Big Sky Mountain). She's now a businesswoman to be reckoned with as she's the head of a highly successful gift distribution company. But, she's still very much alone and in a small town, it's hard to redefine yourself when everyone remembers your wedding day that didn't happen.

Zane Sutton seemed on the surface to be an unlikely match for Brylee. He's a famous Hollywood western actor though his roots were in the rodeo circuit. What no one seems to understand is the Hollywood lifestyle doesn't fit him well and his heart is in Montana at the property he purchased years ago. When he first lays eyes on Brylee, he sees her at a vulnerable moment and gets that she's not the packaged perfection she projects to the rest of the world.

What's most interesting about this story is the romance is more in the background and the issues in Brylee and Zane's worlds are at the forefront. Surprisingly it works because we get a completely finished canvas for both of them by the time they come together. The secondary characters support them rather than distract, making this a much more interesting story.

If there was one shortcoming it would be Brylee's curious behavior near the end of the book. Her actions seemed out of character and I'm still puzzling over what it all meant. Fortunately, it was a small interlude and I quickly moved on.

I enjoyed the story and the romance as Zane is a really great guy, perfect for the wounded but proud Brylee. She makes him work for it and he rises to the occasion admirably. This is probably my most favorite of the series to date.

(I received an ARC from NetGalley)