Truly serendipitous

Serendipity - Lisa Clark O'Neill

Originally posted at The Book Nympho

When I started this book I was curious as to how the story would explain the title. It soon became clear how aptly it was named as the two main characters' meeting was certainly serendipitous. Ava Martinez and Jordan Wellington were destined to connect in spite of their circumstances and the dramatic differences in their backgrounds.

She's a veterinarian and he's an assistant district attorney. She's from a fragmented, "colorful" family and he's from a close-knit, successful one. Ava's pretty tough and isn't afraid of the goons working for her uncle (she should be) and Jordan's got a strong sense of justice, even if it puts him in the crosshairs of some dangerous people.

There's lots of action and sexual tension as Ava tries to resist getting involved with Jordan for obvious reasons. He's tenacious though and I loved how he refused to back off. Their snappy dialogue and clever repartee is one of the many highlights. It's some of the best I've read in awhile. And, there's no lack of heat between these two.

Ava's failure to be upfront about her background almost derails their relationship but thankfully the story didn't go down a clichéd path or belabor the point. There was more of a romance balance than suspense but it was sufficient.

The bottom line
Jordan's got quite a few brothers, too, and I'm looking forward to seeing them in future stories. This was a wonderful find and I'm glad I trusted my friend and read it. It's a well-written, fast-paced story with surprises and twists throughout. The retro looking cover is completely in keeping with the storyline. You'll just have to read it and find out for yourself. It'll be worth it.