Jaw-dropping twists

The Righteous Men - Sam Bourne

Will Monroe, a NY Times Metro reporter trying to prove himself, writes two seemingly unrelated stories that get prominent attention on the newspaper's front page and suddenly finds his world turned upside down.

The first part of the story moved painfully slow, not because of the pace but due to the overwhelming amount of information that couldn't be connected to anything. I struggled to keep focused so it took me longer to finish. Without revealing details you should discover for yourself, Will's main reason for continuing to investigate is what kept me in the story because I had to know.

I'm glad I stuck with it because when that crucial moment came where things started to make more sense, I finished the book in a day. In addition to a really complex mystery was the fascinating world of the Hasidic community, including the customs, practices and history of the Jewish faith. The ending had some jaw-dropping twists, one I suspected, others not so much. My initial issues were worth it in the end.